Wednesday 23 September 2015

Acting a good person on social media and also the reality



Social media is a common platform for the Y-generation to present themselves to others. To be a follower Instagram, I am not only following my close friends there. I would also follow my schoolmates, my colleagues, people I am not know very well, and some celebrity. To think in a pure way, this is a platform for people to understand more about others, and share the feelings there. Actually, lots of Instagram users are taking advantage to it to reach their purpose.

When my character is a follower of others, I would like to know deeper of others via looking at their pictures and the captions. Conversely, I know that my follower would know me through the post on my Instagram if they are not know me very well, just like what I am doing to others. Of course no one would like to show the worse face to others, making others think that they are not nice people. So lots of us only share the fresh and bright part of the life on Instagram. For me, it can be the pictures when I was hang out with pretty girls and boys, my dancing videos, and some funny scenes in my daily life (maybe to laugh at myself that I am short), making my followers think that my life is full of colors and I am humor. Besides, I am using these posts to let my close friends know that I am being good and they don’t have to worry about me. As sometimes I feel worry to my close friends while I saw something bad of them, such as the dead of their dogs or they are breaking up with their boyfriend. To think deeply, it can also presenting the character of a person if they are independent to handle the bad feeling, or they always need others to care and comfort no matter they are close or not with them.
Someone tell her friends that her dog has pass away.
Do we present us strategically like a conspiracy on social media? I think that we are presenting ourselves on social media just like what we have done in the reality. Who are not being hypocritical to act a good person in front of people?


Student Name: Tsang CheukWah

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ica, the blog raises an interesting question which goes beyond presentation of self. Why do we (/you) need to let people know that you are a 'good guy'? In fact, why do your friends are willing to share sadness and make you worried? You can try to address these questions further in your forthcoming portfolio assignment. Nice reference to presentation of self despite you can make more explicit use of it by reviewing its idea in the future writing. Nice work! (Frankie)

    ReplyDelete