Tuesday 29 September 2015

The Medium is the Message



McLuhan is the man who created “The medium is the message”. It means a medium changes society’s values, norms and ways of doing things. It is something which has social implications. For me, I agree this phrase.

In oral culture, people only could get the information from collective listening. After the first mass media, print media, had been produced, people could individual read the information. After electronic media, people could experience the information at the same time but different place because of radio and television. After internet had been produced, people could get the information anywhere and anytime. Every time the media culture had been changed, people would think different way as each medium produces a different message.

Using news as the example, sometime I cannot be neutral to read news as the media. I read an article from Daily Express that the headline is “Paw thing! Daft dog rescued after getting his head stuck in a WALL”. After I read the word “daft”, I just thought that it is a stupid dog. However, it could just be careless. As the newspaper, it changed my feeling and affected my thinking. And then I blindly thought the dog is foolish.

The other example is “Ice Bucket Challenge”. It is an event that came from social media to increase the concern of ALS. Actually, less people know about ALS before. But through social media, this event attracted many people to participate. However, gradually it became a trend which came from social media. One of my friends said that every person accept the challenge. It is so popular so I would “play”. The other friend said if I do not join, I would lose my “face”. Therefore, people who accepted the challenge may because of their reputation and image or may not really understand the aim and meaning but they just follow the trend from social media.

Therefore, because of the medium when people get the message, the way of thinking and the feeling of them would be changed. Consequently, the media we use determine the way we think. (346 words)

Student Name: Uni Chong


1 comment:

  1. Dear Uni, your obversatioin is accurate. Newspaper's political orientation would affect reader's perception of news. The one regarding "Ice Bucket Challenge" is also interesting. What you need to notice is about the difference between "content of media" and "media technology per se". McLuhan's argument is more about the importance of the latter. The writing here addresses both the conent and the media now.

    ReplyDelete