Tuesday 22 September 2015

Visual Vs Reality; Reader Vs Communicator

Nowadays, people cannot live without social media. When you get into a train, you can easily find that 90% of the passengers uses their mobile phone or tablet to read on facebook, instagram, news, youtube or even watch TV drama or play games such as tsumtsum or candy crush.

I am one of the majorities. Instagram and facebook are my favorite social media.

I would say Instagram is my front space. I don’t set any privacy setting that to allow people to follow me. The photos I shared are nothing personal, but all about food, scenery and animal, people can meet me as a food lover who likes exploring the places and food.

Facebook is my other favorite which is between front space and back space. I usually share or like my works, interesting articles and videos, sometime food and personal photos and communicate with the others. Facebook to me is a public, but not entirely since you have the right to choose who to be your friends. The only privacy setting I set is when my friend tagged me to photo, it is needed my approval to be shown on facebook. I think the way I present myself is more like a reader, to know what my friends’ update and talk to them next.

The above presentations are just part of me. You can find the real me by meeting me in person. I prefer this way to communicate which we can truly show my emotion, see others’ reaction during conversation or even experience something real to memorize.


Without a doubt, social media can help on communication. You can understand better your acquaintances without saying a single word, find similarities with your friends and talk to them with a topic which you or they posted on it. It is good way to communicate oversea friends as well.

Technology moves very fast, social media break the boundary of communication we used to have, not limited to location, time and way of present. It enhances relationship, makes people closer, but it can also make people detached depend if you make good use of social media. (354 words)


Student Name: Chan Nga Yin, Angel

1 comment:

  1. Dear Angel, thanks for your sharing. The writing demonstrates your understanding of Goffman's idea of presentation of self and you also mention front and back space. Try to extend your discussion in the upcoming first portfolio component by reviewing the theory in more detail and by sharing one or two events in your experience more concretely. This would help you go in more depth when discussing media consumption. (Frankie)

    ReplyDelete