Tuesday 22 September 2015

The presentation of Self on social media in everyday life



Nowadays, there are lots of social media such as Facebook, Instagram, etc. to help people make some new friends or understand each other better. Before these kinds of social media, people want to understand a person need lots of time to get along with each other or get some information about him or her by their friends. But nowadays people just need to searchthat person on these kinds of social media. And they can know more about that person. But there are some people presenting themselves on social media strategically. I want to present the character of me is great and awesome to others.
I am one of them. As my personal experience, I enjoy uploading some picture or video about the things I like or my great experiences. It is a kind of showing off me. 
And it is “Front” space of the theory The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life by Erving Goffman. I will present the best part of me to others in this space to make an illusion that I am wonderful to others. And that means I hide something to others in the “Back” space.
I think it will make people more detached from each other. Although I am not the one to upload something fake to the social media, there are some people who can upload something fake to cheat others or commit crime like sexual crime or financial crime. It is because there no any surveillance
to check the things what people upload is true or fake, so it is easy that people will upload something fake. That’s mean the social media can make people more detached from each other.
Student Name: Law Hoi Yin, Billy.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Billy, I am glad that you make reference to the concepts learnt in class in your discussion of your personal experience. The idea about the 'detachment from people due to the usage of new technology' is reasonable. Try to link this to 'backstage' more clearly in your forthcoming portfolio assignment. Do you mean that we need to publicise all our personal 'secrets' on social media in order to get closer? Goffman tended to argue that it is about performance rather than merely a 'truer' self. If this point can be clarified, the writing could be even more convincing. A minor point to note is the layout of the blog. There are some unintended spaces and 'wrong' spelling found in the writing. (Frankie)

    ReplyDelete