Tuesday 22 September 2015

Presentation of self on social media

I strategically present myself on social media as I would consider the content rather carefully when I decide to post some pictures regarding to different aspects, such as basketball and football on Facebook. Besides, I would check if there is any typing mistake and grammar mistake of the sentence that I would like to share with my friends. On the other hand, I would take photos of my daily life sometimes and upload it to Instagram relating to my parents and my feelings to certain matter. 

Meanwhile, I am presenting “Front” space to the audiences who have followed my social media account since it usually relates to my formal activities, such as school life and sports workout. However, I may presenting “Back” space at the same time since there are interactions on social media and the audience who knows you well, such as your close friends, would actually realize your personality and behavior towards different things. (The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life, Erving Goffman, 1959)

Apart from that, social media can help us to understand each other better since we can communicate without limit and chat at any location if we have Wi-Fi to support our devices (e.g. overseas). Also, it enhances the efficiency of communication in social networking as we have chances to use different emoji for our facial expression that it is easy to understand nowadays.

Student Name: Chi Wai Chu Chiwai


1 comment:

  1. Dear Chi Wai, This is very nice piece of work. You don't only show your reflection on your personal experience in using media technology but also make reference with appropriate theoretical concepts learnt in class. The picture at the end makes the blog look better though it is not directly linked to your writing. You can extend your discussion here when you write up the first portfolio assignment. What you need to do is to share one or two events in more detail and that would be fine. Definitely, you can also discuss more about Goffman's idea in the forthcoming writing. Good work! (Frankie)

    ReplyDelete