Tuesday 22 September 2015

Can social media really help people to understand each other better?

Nowadays, almost every teenagers have the experience on using online social media including Facebook, Instagram and weibo. As one of the teenagers in Hong Kong, I am also a user of Facebook and Instagram. I use Facebook and Instagram to gather the news, information of different fans pages and post what are happened around me respectively.

For Instagram, I was use it as a personal photo album initially, to save my memory and sort it by time, so that I can remember what was happened in my past. After a few year, Instagram became popular in every teenager, a lot of my friends started to use it, at that time, the photo in my Instagram account not only for my memory only, my friends would like to watch my photos and know my life. In addition, Instagram has a caption function, which allow me to add some comments or feeling to the photos, so that my friends can know more about me.

But, I don’t think that these social media are really helping people to understand each other better. Because all of us would like to select what to post and what should post. So, the photo and status in these social media can only help the users to create a designed image, but not reflecting the users totally.(219 words)

Student name: Pun Shuk Kwan, Audrey

1 comment:

  1. Dear Audrey, thanks for your sharing. The writing demonstrates your understanding of Goffman's idea of presentation of self though you do not make explicit reference to it. In the upcoming first portfolio component, try to strengthen the theoretical review. This would help you go in more depth when discussing media consumption. (Frankie)

    ReplyDelete