Tuesday 22 September 2015

Social media is a two edged sword?

In the eyes of many people, media is an indispensable medium for different purpose. I use media in my daily life. I can easily keep up with the latest news and communicate with my friends or family. Some internet platforms like Facebook and Instagram allows me to share some interesting things or life experience with friends or other social media users.


On Instagram I have shared some photos and videos of my dog since his birth with public. For me, this front space is a useful medium to exchange health and grooming tips with dog lovers whom I don’t know in my daily life. It definitely helps me broaden my social circle. On Facebook, besides videos and photos, I also use the function of "people you may know", after filling the information such as my primary school and kindergarten name and graduate year on Facebook, I can find back my ex-classmates. Another function I use a lot is "check in", which I can share my unforgettable experience with my friends during traveling. Besides of sharing experience, those memories will be recorded on Facebook. Whenever I want to go through those memories, what I have to do is to login my Facebook.





Expose my private life and emotion to my friends, letting them know more about my happiness and hatred. I enjoy showing my real side in this back space. Although I think Instagram and Facebook both give a perfect space to present myself and improve interpersonal relationship, many critics believe social media is a two edged sword. I also think if one day everyone becomes active on social media, do people still meet their friends irregularly? It may eventually create a distance from people.  (284 words)

Student Name: Lai Hoi Ying Ada

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ada, the writing demonstrates strong personal but reasonable opinions. You also make reference to the concepts learnt in class. Nice. In the upcoming first portfolio component, you can extend the discussion here and strengthen the theoretical review of the idea of presentation of self. Neutrality of technology is worth mentioning as you also come to this conclusion at the end of your writing. Keep up the good work! (Frankie)

    ReplyDelete