Tuesday 22 September 2015

The truth of Social Media


Nowadays, social media is of vital importance. It delivers a new way to present yourself and communicate with different people. Some people like to share their daily life. They cannot live without the social media. I am one of them that created a media account to share something.
In my experience, I created two Instagram accounts. One of the accounts is posting my art work. Everyone can 'like' and comment on what I posted. It is my interactive platform for meeting more new friends who have same interest as well as I can discuss the drawing and photo editing skills with them. The other account is sharing my real daily life and personal feeling of my life. It is just for my closest friends who entirely know me a lot. Therefore, people may not totally understand my personality from the public account. They only can know my public side from my photo.
Furthermore, in my opinion, social media not truly help people understand each other. We can see that people always post some photo about their daily life on Facebook or Instagram. Maybe you can know what they do every day or what they like. However, it is only the superficial part. As mentioned above, people cannot know my real character from my public Instagram account. It also means photo cannot entirely mirror people's personality because some of them just show their good performance and hide their shortcoming. It is a common phenomenon on the social media.
Therefore, I think that people totally understand others by their speech and their behavior in real life. Social media is only a popular way to present yourself. (274 words)
Student name: Tam Yi Ki

1 comment:

  1. Dear Yi Ki, This is a nice piece of work. Though the Goffman's presentation of self is not explicitly mentioned, your arguments demonstrate your good understanding of it. Based on this blog writing, you can write up your first portfolio component. In the upcoming writing, you are suggested to make explicit use of the theoretical terms related to presentation of self such as front and back space when you reflect on your experience. Nice work. Keep it up! (Frankie)

    ReplyDelete