Tuesday 22 September 2015

The presentation of self on Facebook and Instagram

  These days, with the advent of social media and mobile technology, different types of social platforms have been invented such as Facebook and Instagram.  Increasingly, people are spending 20 minutes or above for using their own social media platform everyday.  They would like to share their favorite photos or videos and give comments to others.  Therefore, spending time on social media platform becomes part of our life.  
  
  In my own view, it is undeniable that Facebook and Instagram bring a big effect in our daily life. I will stalk the Facebook and Instagram from time to time.  When I have spare time, I will search some interesting photos or videos to watch.  Therefore, social media platform has changed my behavior on using mobile or computer. 

  Although I love using Facebook and Instagram, they seem to be different meaning for me.  For my Facebook, it is a public space, everyone can look at it.  When I opened the account of my Facebook, I had accepted different people to be my friends, even the people that I may not know.  Therefore, I seldom post my daily photos on Facebook, exclude my friends tag me in the photos.  For me, Facebook is a big platform to know well each others, but it seems dangerous to post a lot of daily photos on it as everything has posted once, it cannot be deleted.
  On the other hand, Instagram is my private space.  I just accepted the people that I know and set the privacy to friends only.  Instagram  act like my dairy.   I can share anything that I like and post some photos that related to my daily activities.  It is a meaningful platform for me.

Student: Tang Yee Ting, Stephanie

1 comment:

  1. Dear Stephanie, thanks for your sharing. The writing demonstrates your understanding of Goffman's idea of presentation of self and you make explicit reference public and private space.In the upcoming first portfolio component, try to strengthen the theoretical review by elaborating the idea of presentation of self. You can also discuss one or two events about using social media in your discussion so as to make the description more substantial. (Frankie)

    ReplyDelete